top of page

Veterans & Military
Tuition Assistance

Veterans & Military Tuition Assistance

Beaver Beauty Academy honors servicemen and women of the armed forces by participating in the various Veteran's Benefit programs and military tuition assistance programs designed for active and inactive service members and their families.

It’s our privilege to assist to those who have sacrificed so much for our country through their services in the armed forces.

With growing needs in the beauty industry, Beaver Beauty Academy’s world-class career training programs can help you, your spouse and dependents transition to civilian life after the military and achieve your career goals.

We offer Military Education Benefits   Eligible students can apply for military benefits. Beaver Beauty Academy is a VA authorized Non Degree College (NCD) training facility and we accept military assistance programs, including the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) and the various Veteran's Benefit programs. 

Enrollment Details

  • Veterans and their dependents should obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from their local Veteran’s Affairs Office or their Military Unit.

  • The Certificate of Eligibility form should be presented to the school’s administrative office.

  • Veterans are required by the Veterans Affairs Office to carry a minimum twenty-two (22) hours per week to receive full subsistence and must conform to the same grading system at the school as non-veteran students.

  • Those veterans who are eligible for benefits under the legislation must comply with and meet the standards as set forth by Beaver Beauty Academy regarding attendance, conduct, withdrawal, and suspension.

  • To apply for benefits, go to click ‘Apply for Benefits.

  • Contact our office of financial aid and we will assist you through the process at 678.705.8058.

Benefits and Eligibility

For approved programs, the Post-9/11 Veteran's Benefit programs provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Institutions of higher learning participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program may make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your Veteran's Benefit programs entitlement. The following payments may also be available:

  • Monthly housing allowance

  • Annual books and supplies stipend

  • One-time rural benefit payment

To see the current payment rates for the Post-9/11 Veteran's Benefit programs click here. 
Some Service members may also transfer unused Veteran's Benefit to their dependents.

Other Factors to Consider

  • Full tuition and fees are paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students.

  • For those attending private or foreign schools, tuition and fees are capped at the national maximum rate. Learn more here. 

If you're attending a private or a public institution of higher learning (either private or public) as a nonresident, out-of-state student you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program and entitled to additional education-related costs not covered by VA. Not everyone is eligible for this assistance.

MONTGOMERYVeteran's Benefit programs (MGIB)

VA educational benefits may be used while the service member is on active duty or after the service member’s separation from active duty with a fully honorable military discharge. Discharges “under honorable conditions” and “general” discharges do not establish eligibility.

Eligibility generally expires 10 years after the service member’s discharge. However, there are exceptions for disability, re-entering active duty, and upgraded discharges.

All participants must have a high school diploma, equivalency certificate, or completed 12 hours toward a college degree before applying for benefits.

Previously, service members had to meet the high school requirement before they completed their initial active duty obligation. Those who did not may now meet the requirement and reapply for benefits. If eligible, they must use their benefits either within 10 years from the date of last discharge from active duty or by Nov. 2, 2010, whichever is later.

Additionally, every veteran must establish eligibility under one of four categories:


  • Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985

  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months

  • Continuously served for three years or two years, if that is what you first enlisted for or if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served four years (the 2 by 4 program)


  • Entered active duty before January 1, 1977

  • Served at least one day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88, (or through 6/30/87 if you entered the Selected Reserve within one year of leaving active duty and served four years)

  • On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam-era Veteran's Benefit programs


  • Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II

  • On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91

  • OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93

  • OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program

  • Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1,200


  • On active duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97

  • OR you entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89, AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96 - 7/08/97

  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1,200 lump-sum contribution

Training Available

The following types of training are available:

  • Courses at colleges and universities leading to associate, bachelor or graduate degrees, including accredited independent study offered through distance education.

  • Courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools.

  • Apprenticeship or on-the-job training for those not on active duty, including self-employment training begun on or after June 16, 2004, for ownership or operation of a franchise.

  • Correspondence courses, under certain conditions.

  • Flight training, if the veteran holds a private pilot’s license upon beginning the training program and meets the medical requirements.

  • State-approved teacher certification programs.

  • Preparatory courses necessary for admission to a college or graduate school.

  • License and certification tests approved for veterans.

  • Entrepreneurship training courses to create or expand small businesses.

  • Tuition assistance using MGIB as “Top-Up” (active duty service members).

Work-Study Program

Veterans who train at the three-quarter or full-time rate may be eligible for a work-study program in which they work for VA and receive hourly wages. The types of work allowed include:

  • Outreach services.

  • VA paperwork.

  • Work at national or state veterans’ cemeteries.

  • Work at VA medical centers or state veterans’ homes.

  • Other VA approved activities.

Educational and Vocational Counseling: VA counseling is available to help determine educational or vocational strengths and weaknesses and plan educational or employment goals.

Additionally, individuals not eligible for the MGIB may still receive VA counseling beginning 180 days prior to separation from active duty through the first full year following honorable discharge.

Dependents Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Type of Assistance

Benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Get the DEA pamphlet.

Available Benefits and Eligibility

You may receive up to 45 months of education benefits. Effective Oct. 1, 2013, some DEA beneficiaries may be eligible for up to 81 months of Veteran's Benefit programs if they use the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program in conjunction with an entitlement from other VA education programs. View current payment rates.
If you are eligible for both Fry Scholarship and DEA, you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the two programs when you apply. Dependents are not eligible to receive both DEA and Fry Scholarship based on the same event (like a Servicemember dying in the line of duty) unless he or she is a child whose parent died prior to August 1, 2011. A child whose parent died before August 1, 2011, may be eligible for both benefits but he/she may only use one program at a time and combined benefits are capped at a total of 81 months of full-time training. In this situation, the two benefit programs cannot be used concurrently.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the armed forces.

  • A Veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.

  • A Servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.

  • A Servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.

  • A Servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.

Other Factors to Consider

If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the armed forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions.
Please note that a child over 18 years old using DEA will not be eligible to receive Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) payments from VA. Receiving DEA payments bars a child from receiving DIC payments.
If you are a spouse, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the Veteran. If VA rated the Veteran permanently and totally disabled with an effective date of three years from discharge, a spouse will remain eligible for 20 years from the effective date of the rating. This change is effective Oct. 10, 2008, and no benefits may be paid for any training taken prior to that date. A spouse using DEA (of the Fry Scholarship) remains eligible to receive DIC payments from VA.
For surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died on active duty, benefits end 20 years from the date of death.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a 2-for-1 basis.

Types of Training

Assistance may be used for college degree and certificate programstechnical or vocational courses, flight trainingapprenticeships or on-the-job traininghigh-tech traininglicensing and certification testsentrepreneurship training, certain entrance examinations, and correspondence courses. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available. Get the VEAP pamphlet.
You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs.

Available Benefits and Eligibility

Benefit entitlement is for one to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits. If the entitlement is not used after the 10-year period, your portion remaining in the fund will be automatically refunded.


You must meet the following requirements to qualify:

  • Entered service for the first time between Jan. 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985

  • Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987

  • Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2,700;

  • Completed your first period of service and were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.

  • If you are currently on active duty and wish to receive VEAP benefits, you must have at least three months of contributions available.

Other Factors to Consider

Contributions may be withdrawn if you do not meet the basic eligibility requirements or if you formally request a refund of the contributions withheld.

Service members who participated in VEAP are eligible to receive benefits while on active duty if:

  • At least three months of contributions are available, except for high school or elementary, in which only one month is needed.

  • And they enlisted for the first time after Sept. 7, 1980, and completed 24 months of their first period of active duty.

Service members must receive a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable for the qualifying period of service. Service members who enlisted for the first time after Sept. 7, 1980, or entered active duty as an officer or enlistee after Oct. 16, 1981, must have completed 24 continuous months of active duty, unless they meet a qualifying exception.

Eligibility generally expires 10 years from release from active duty, but can be extended under special circumstances.

Payments: DOD will match contributions at the rate of $2 for every $1 put into the fund and may make additional contributions, or “kickers,” as necessary. For training in college, vocational or technical schools, the payment amount depends on the type and hours of training pursued. The maximum amount is $300 a month for full-time training.

Training, Work-Study, Counseling: VEAP participants may receive the same training, work-study benefits and counseling as provided under the Montgomery Veteran's Benefit programs.

Additional information can be found at or by calling 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). You may apply online at

bottom of page